Saturday, August 24, 2013

Review: More than Friends

 photo MtF.jpgMore than Friends by Barbara Delinsky

Rating- Three Stars photo threestars.png

Find this book on Goodreads

Book Blurb

The Maxwells and the Popes have been friends forever. The women were college roommates, their husbands are partners in the same law firm, their kids have grown up next door to each other, and the two families share both vacations and holidays.

Like Wisteria Lane, the "perfect" suburban street of Desperate Housewives, all is beautiful and serene -- until an accident forces these close neighbors to look beneath the surface. And when their idyllic lives are unexpectedly shattered by a moment that can never be erased or forgotten, their faith in one another -- and in themselves -- is put to the supreme test.

In this moving, unforgettable story, Barbara Delinsky exquisitely captures the depth and complexity of the human heart as few writers can.

My Thoughts

After reading the first 25 pages I almost put this book down because I disliked one of the story lines so much. But, I decided to give it a shot and see where the author went with it.

The main characters are Sam, Annie, Teke (Theodora) and J.D. They have been friends since college. Sam is married to Annie. J.D. is married to Teke. Both couples have kids similar in age and have done just about everything together. They seem to be a picture perfect family (of sorts). Maybe a little too perfect.. Life spins out of control after one lapse in judgment.

I have really mixed emotions about this book. I know that had I known what the main story line was before I picked it up I wouldn't have read it. I just don't enjoy reading stories that involve it. That being said, I did finish this book and after turning the last page honestly liked all the characters. They are all well written and the way they deal with the rough period is all very much real. They have a family dynamic (even though they are two families that are really close). I found myself pulling for a happy ending to such a rough story.

I don't want to give anything away, so I'm having a hard time here.. Huge issues are dealt with in this book. A family falls apart but out of the rubble comes a different shaped family that is even stronger than before. Overall this is a nice story.

No comments:

Post a Comment